Home \ Tenants \ Supported Housing \ Sheltered Housing

Sheltered Housing

Badger Vale CourtSheltered housing is normally built specifically for people over retirement age or for disabled people. The homes are generally flats, bungalows or both, grouped around a communal facility such as a lounge. Sometimes the accommodation is linked to the communal areas by corridors.

The homes all have their own front doors and are self-contained. But they differ from ordinary housing because they are grouped together and have a dedicated Community Scheme Manager to support the people who live there.

The Community Scheme Manager will regularly check on your well-being and help you to access services that may enable you to remain as independent as possible in your own home. This can include help from social services, health services and voluntary services.  

Semi sheltered housing

Copperfield CloseSemi-sheltered housing is similar to sheltered housing but does not have communal facilities.

It still has the support of housing staff who visit regularly, and your home is connected to a 24-hour community alarm service.  

More information about our sheltered and semi sheltered housing schemes

Please select this link to find out more information about our sheltered housing and semi-sheltered schemes. 

Is our sheltered housing right for you

Take a look at this link to see if our sheltered housing is right for you

If you need greater personal or nursing care

Click this link to see options if you need greater personal or nursing care

 Who can apply for sheltered housing?

Sheltered housing schemes are open to all applicants regardless of gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality or religion.

The only condition is that you must be either:

  • 60 years of age or over; or
  • disabled of a younger age.

More information

If you would like to find out more about other sheltered schemes in the city, please contact Gloucester City Council's HousingTeam on 01452 396396.

Download our Sheltered Housing Handbook

Download our Sheltered Housing Fire Policy Leaflet

Download our Sheltered Housing Mobility Scooter Policy Leaflet

Applying to transfer to another council property  

What to do next

If you'd like to find out more about sheltered housing and see if it would be the right move for you, we can arrange for a Community Scheme Manager to come and talk to you or for you to visit a scheme

Help with moving home

See this link on what help you can get with moving home

Links to other sites:

Information about retirement and pensions from the Pension Service

Help the Aged and Age Concern are now Age uk - www.ageuk.org.uk

Gloucestershire Supporting People website